Summer Reading Club Assistants
Please note: subject to funding from Young Canada Works.
The Greater Victoria Public Library (GVPL) is a well-loved, well-used community resource. We are an innovative library system with one of the highest per capita usage rates in Canada. Serving 318,000 residents and taxpayers in the Greater Victoria area on beautiful Vancouver Island, British Columbia, we provide library service to 10 municipalities. We are currently looking for enthusiastic applicants to fill the Summer Reading Club Assistants positions.
These positions are available between June 22, 2017 and August 10, 2017. Subject to funding, one or more positions may be extended beyond the end date.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a post-secondary student;
- Be experienced working with children; have knowledge of child development and children’s literature;
- Be available to work weekends and evenings as required.
To be eligible you must:
- Be available and willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours per week) during this work assignment.
In addition to the criteria listed above, 4 of the successful candidates must meet the requirements of the Young Canada Works program, to qualify you must:
- Be registered on the Young Canada Works on-line candidate inventory;
- Be between the ages of 16 and 30 at the start of employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada;
- Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the work assignment;
- Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the work assignment (Please indicate in your cover letter that you are registered with YCW);
Work locations may vary between any or all Greater Victoria Public Library branches. Travel is necessary; own transportation is not a requirement but would be considered an asset or candidates should be able to use public transit.
For further information, please refer to the complete job description.
You will be a member of CUPE Local 410 during your employment at the Library. Work schedule will vary, but will normally be scheduled either Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday to meet programming objectives. This position is 30 hours per week, with an hourly rate of $18.00 per hour + 14% in lieu of benefits.
As per BC Legislation requirements, a criminal record check must be conducted before employment can be confirmed.
To apply: Qualified candidates are invited to submit their detailed resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, please include “SRCA #2017-011E” in the subject line.
Closing date: Tuesday, April 4 at 4:30 pm.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants considered for interviews will be contacted.