Adult Literacy Services
Four out of every ten adult Canadians do not have the literacy skills needed to function adequately in our information- rich world. If you’d like to learn more about this, please visit ABC Canada Literacy Facts.
As part of our commitment to lifelong learning, the Greater Victoria Public Library maintains collections at all of our branches to help adults who are learning to read and write or who are upgrading their literacy skills. Additionally, LearnNowVictoria is a website to help find programs and services which can help you achieve your literacy and learning goals within the School District 61 area, including Victoria, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, View Royal and South Saanich.
Our literacy materials support:
Adult Literacy - Including grammar, phonics, spelling, vocabulary, spelling, writing and numeracy.
Adult Basic Eduction (ABE) - Grades 9 to 12, including life skills.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Our literacy materials include:
- Graded workbooks
- Easy-to-read fiction and non-fiction chapter books
- Reading kits (i.e. book and audiotape or audio CD packages)
- Support books for the general education development (GED) test
- Study guides for common ESL tests (e.g. TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, LPI)
- Key Study Guides for grade 9-12 courses in the B.C. curriculum
We also provide:
- Public desk space and (where available) meeting space at our branches for tutors and students
- Library tours for teachers and their classes