Teen Writing Contest
Love writing? You came to the right place!
Enter your original poem, short story or something in our “random” category. Create a new piece or polish up something written for a school assignment. If your entry is selected by the judging panel, you will win a gift certificate to the store of your choice, up to $100 for first prize.
Contest age categories:
- Junior (Grades 7-9 or born between January 1, 2002 and December 31, 2004)
- Senior (Grades 10-12 or born between January 1, 1999 and December 31, 2001)
How to enter
1. Read the Official Contest Rules
2. Choose your genre
- Short story*
* Short stories must not exceed 2000 words in length
**The Random category includes writing in any format that is not a poem or short story. E.g. Graphic novel, magazine, song lyrics, screenplay, personal essay, blog, etc. Word limit must not exceed 2000.
- Entrants must have a valid Greater Victoria Public Library card
- Submissions must be original work and not have been published elsewhere. (Submissions that were written for school assignments are accepted and encouraged)
- One entry per category per person
- Your name should not appear anywhere on the submission (only on the entry form), but please make sure that the title of the work is clearly marked on your submission
- Entries will not be returned and no feedback will be offered. Please keep a copy of your work for yourself
- All submissions must be received no later than midnight on March 27, 2017
4. Judging and Prizes
The judges’ panel consists of library staff, local writers and teens from GVPL’s Teen Council. First prize in each category will be a $100 gift certificate to the store of the winner’s choice. Runners up in each category will receive a $25 gift certificate to the store of their choice. Honourable mentions may be acknowledged (no monetary prize). Winners will be selected by April 30, 2017 or earlier. The decision of the judges is final. Participants and winners, and their writing, will be featured at a Teen Writers’ Reception on May 4, 2017.