July 6 to August 13
We challenge you to make the library part of your summer story! Choose from 18 challenges, and earn an entry into our weekly prize draws for every one you complete. Finish the challenges in any order, and repeat as many as you like. Participate on your own or as a family.
For every challenge you complete, you’ll be entered into a weekly draw to win a gift certificate to a local bookstore (one prize per person).
Draw prize winners will be announced on Facebook and Twitter.
Two Ways to Enter the Weekly Prize Draws
- ON FACEBOOK
Go to the GVPL Facebook page, and look for the Summer Challenge post pinned to the top of the page. Add a comment to the post that shows how you’ve completed the challenge, either by posting a photo or answering the question(s) in the challenge. Please indicate the number of the challenge you’ve completed and include #gvplchallenge.Example: I completed #gvplchallenge 2: I read Madeleine Thien’s Do Not Say We Have Nothing on a park bench by the ocean.
- ON TWITTER
Tweet @gvpl your completed challenge, either by posting a photo or answering the question(s) in the challenge. Please indicate the number of the challenge you’ve completed and include #gvplchallenge.Example: Hey @gvpl, I completed #gvplchallenge 2: I read Madeleine Thien’s Do Not Say We Have Nothing on a park bench by the ocean.
Note: Please make sure your social media privacy settings will allow us to see your submission.
The 2017 Summer Challenges
Around Town and On the Road
1. Find a Little Free Library box around town and take a photo of the box.
2. Read a book while on vacation or staycation. What book? Where are you?
3. Home, on the beach, on the bus, at the library – where does reading take you?
4. Read aloud to someone special. What did you read? Who did you read to?
5. What is your favourite book by a Canadian author? Include #Canada150.
6. Show us your bookface! Find a book with a face on the front or back cover, hold it in front of your face, and take a selfie.
7. Take a shelfie – a photo of what’s on your bookshelf.
8. Take a selfie with a favourite book from childhood.
9. Read a book by an author from Greater Victoria, and tell us the title and author. Hint: Browse our Emerging Local Authors Collection at Central Branch.
10. Borrow a CD from GVPL’s music collection. How did you like it?
11. Read a current magazine issue using Zinio, a library app for magazine lovers. Which one did you read?
12. Borrow a movie, TV show, audiobook or music album using Hoopla, a streaming service for library users. What did you choose? How was it?
13. Learn how to say “I love the library” in another language using the Mango Languages resource. Share your translation with us.
14. List five fictional characters you’d like to invite to your bookclub.
15. If you could step into the world of a book, which would it be? Why?
16. What book would you love to see as a movie and why?
17. Read a book and see the movie. Which did you prefer?
18. Listen to an audiobook. Which one? How did you like it?