Community-Inspired Library Service
Greater Victoria Public Library’s Strategic Plan 2016 to 2020
Library Service Inspired by You!
We are proud to share our new strategic plan, which will guide GVPL for the next five years. Our priorities were developed with you, our library members, in mind. As part of the planning process, we defined our unique role in Greater Victoria, what we believe as a library system, and what we aspire to achieve for our community. Our new mission, vision and value statements are foundational to everything we do, present and future.
We strive to offer you programs and services that enrich your lives and support you as lifelong learners. We listened carefully during the public engagement process and incorporated your ideas and suggestions to make a great library system even better. As you read about our future plans, we invite you to share your feedback and let us know how GVPL inspires your future.
Thank you for sharing the excitement with us.
Maureen Sawa, CEO & Kevin Murdoch, Chair, Board of Directors
(click each priority to view our videos related to each one)
CREATE great library spaces to meet unique user needs – in person and through our multiple e-service channels.
ENGAGE passionate library members, funders and partners to expand the library’s reach and impact.
INSPIRE discovery through programs, collections and services that enhance literacy and lifelong learning.
LEAD with support for innovative ideas, service models and governance.
1. DEVELOP local, community-inspired branch plans to increase the accessibility and impact of library services in Greater Victoria.
2. CULTIVATE the development of 21st century skills to bridge the digital divide in Greater Victoria.
3. OFFER new tools and learning opportunities that support the creativity and self-expression of individuals in our community.
4. CONTINUE investing in programs, services and collections for early learning and family literacy.
5. INVEST in new ways to extend the reach of the library beyond existing facilities and traditional venues.
6. INCREASE use and awareness of existing learning opportunities, leisure opportunities and resources the library has to offer.
7. CELEBRATE the unique local talents of the community by providing space, resources and opportunities to build connections.
8. CULTIVATE new supporters and engage existing donors, funders and members who expand the capacity of the library to meet community needs.
9. CREATE opportunities for staff to flourish in their roles through mentorship, leadership development and team building activities.
Mission, Vision, Values
Mission: We build community and support literacy and lifelong learning by providing free access to information, space, tools and expertise.
Vision: Your place to connect, discover and imagine.
- Collaboration: We engage and work in partnership to meet community needs
- Inclusiveness: We respect diversity and provide open access for all in welcoming physical and virtual spaces
- Service Excellence: We provide high quality library service that is responsive to the community
- Innovation: We commit to continuous improvement in library service delivery
- Intellectual Freedom: We uphold the Canadian Library Association’s position on intellectual freedom and the equitable access to and exchange of information, ideas and creativity
- Public Accountability: We make transparent decisions that are fiscally sound and measurable
- Sustainability: We deliver reliable and relevant services and remain resilient in times of change
Tell us what you think
We’d love to hear what you think of our new strategic plan. Drop us a line at email@example.com