The Greater Victoria Public Library provides free wireless Internet access to the public from all branch locations. Wireless access provides a way to fulfill GVPL’s mission of providing equal access to information.
What is wireless Internet access and how do I use it at the Greater Victoria Public Library?
- Wireless Internet access uses radio frequency signals to exchange information between your computer and the Internet.
- No cables are required.
- Wireless allows library users to bring their own computers to the library and to get Internet access.
- Wireless enables the library system to offer this service without having to go through the great expense of upgrading and installing new wiring.
- Library users can use their wireless laptop computers to get Internet access at almost every table or chair in the library and are not limited to the normal computer areas of the library.
- Since users provide their own equipment the time limits that apply to library computers do not apply to WiFi users. You can use the system all day.
How do I use wireless at the library?
- The Greater Victoria Public Library uses the 802.11B WiFi standard
- You will need to bring your own laptop computer to the library and it will need to have built-in WiFi or you will need to install a WiFi network card.
- Most WiFi equipment will be compatible. However, the library can make no guarantees as to compatibility of your equipment with the library’s network.
- Printers are not part of the Wireless Internet Access program in the library. If you need to print, please save the work to disk, then login to a workstation and send print jobs to a printer.
What about security?
- The Library’s wireless network is not secure. Information sent to or from your laptop can potentially be captured by someone else. To securely access your corporate e-mail and other applications, you may need a security solution (VPN or Virtual Private Network).
Limitations and Disclaimers
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library’s network
- The Library cannot assure the safety of your data when you use either our wired or wireless Internet access. The Library recommends that credit card information and passwords not be transmitted while using a library WiFi “hotspot”.
Will I need any special settings or passwords to connect?
- No, anybody can connect.
Can the library help me configure my computer?
- Sorry, everyone’s computer is different and you are responsible for knowing how to configure your own equipment.
- The Greater Victoria Public Library cannot be responsible for any changes you make to your computer’s settings.
- If you need additional assistance, you may need to contact the company that sold you the laptop, or the manufacturers of your hardware or software.