Interlibrary Loan FAQs
Can I use this service?
- Yes, if you have a valid library card from GVPL.
What can I request?
- Books, microfilms and journal articles/photocopies not already owned by GVPL.
- Books, microfilms and journal articles/photocopies only. E-books, DVDs, CDs and other audio-visual formats cannot be requested.
- Books published before 2017. Books published in 2016 can be requested after April 1, 2017.
Are there any charges?
- Not usually, but some libraries may charge a nominal fee. Please indicate the maximum amount you are willing to pay, on your request form.
- Charges will be added to your library account when we receive the item.
How many interlibrary loan requests can I have?
- You can have eight active requests at a time.
How long does it take?
- It can take up to four weeks depending on the response time, location and shipping mode of the lending library.
What happens when my interlibrary loan arrives?
- It will show on your card as a hold ready for pickup and you will receive an email notification or automated phone call.
- Interlibrary loans are held at the customer service desk.
How long can I keep it?
- The lending library sets the due date. Please pick up your loan as soon as possible.
- You will be charged $1.00 if your interlibrary loan is not picked up.
Can I renew?
- Yes, items may be renewed twice at the lending library’s discretion, unless otherwise specified on your interlibrary loan.
- Prior to the due date please request a renewal by emailing [email protected] or leaving a voicemail at 250-940-4875 ext. 385. Please include your name, library card number and the interlibrary loan number (ILLO#) of the item.
What are my responsibilities?
- You are responsible for returning interlibrary loans by the due date to the customer service desk at any GVPL branch. The overdue charge is $1.00 per day.
- If the material is lost or damaged you are responsible for any costs levied by the lending library.
What if I need more information?
- Email Interlibrary Loans at [email protected] or call our Interlibrary Loans voicemail at 250-940-4875 ext. 385.