- Book Club Sets
- Climate Action To-Go Kits
- Collections for the Print Disabled
- Cultural & Recreational Passes
- DVD & Blu-ray
- Emerging Local Authors
- Kids’ Books To Go
- Local History
- Magazines & Newspapers
- Microfilm & Microfiche
- New Arrivals & Recently Ordered
- Puppets to Go
- Readers to Go
- Skill Builders Adaptive Toys
- Staff Picks to Go
- Stories to Go
- StoryWalk® Collection
- Video Games
- World Languages
Reading is a walk in the park with GVPL’s StoryWalk® collection!
A StoryWalk® is an innovative and delightful way for children – and adults – to enjoy stories in the great outdoors. Pages from a children’s book are hung or attached to wooden stakes along a path outdoors. As you stroll down the trail, you’ll go from page to page, enjoying the story along with a walk in nature.
The collection was made possible thanks to a Times Colonist Raise-a-Reader grant.
Who Will Enjoy a StoryWalk®
Toddlers, young children and school-age children will enjoy StoryWalks®. The kits may be of particular interest to nature preschools, daycares, families and other organizations. The collection is available for everyone to use.
Inside the Kits
Each StoryWalk® kit is contained in a large plastic tote and includes the following:
- Individually laminated pages of an entire storybook with grommets at the top and Velcro on the back, ready for hanging on bushes, trees and fences or attaching to sign posts (not included)
- A StoryWalk® guide, including information and ideas
- Kits can be borrowed with a valid, adult GVPL library card
- The loan period is 21 days if there are no holds, 14 days if there are holds
- Up to two renewals are permitted (if there are no holds)
- Kits can be picked up and returned to any branch during open hours
- For all patrons’ health and enjoyment, please ensure StoryWalks® are wiped clean and dried before returning
- For information on borrowing and loan periods, see Loan Periods & Limits.
Please Note: To return a kit, please bring it to the service desk at any GVPL branch during the library’s open hours. Staff will review the kit’s contents with you to make sure all items are present and in good condition.
Search our catalogue for books, ebooks and audiobooks on related topics and use keywords such as “physical literacy” and “nature and children.”
The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Vermont Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition and the Kellog Hubbard Library.