The Victoria Seed Library offers free access to seeds and seed saving education. Our goal is to support local food security and steward our region’s biodiversity. Locally-raised seeds are more resilient and better adapted to our soil and microclimate.
LifeCycles and GVPL created the Seed Library as a way for hobby and beginner gardeners to share seeds and other gardening resources, and to connect with other seed savers.
You must become a member of the Victoria Seed Library in order to participate. Membership is free and includes access to seeds, classes and other resources. You do not need to be a member of GVPL to become a member of the Seed Library.
Interested in volunteering with the Seed Library? Please contact Matthew Kemshaw: firstname.lastname@example.org
Already a member? We’d love to get your feedback on how things are going.
1. Become a Seed Library Member
Attend a Seed Library Member Orientation and sign a membership agreement. Orientation sessions are 1.5 hours long and will be offered at rotating library branches. Register at gvpl.ca or call 250-940-GVPL (4875) for more information.
Upcoming orientation dates:
- Saturday, February 25, 10:00 am-11:30 am at Central Branch
- Saturday, March 11, 10:00 am-11:30 am at Central Branch
- Saturday, April 22, 10:00 am-11:30 am at Central Branch – registration begins February 27
- Saturday, May 27, 10:00 am-11:30 am at Central Branch – registration begins February 27
2. Borrow and Return Seeds
Once you become a member, you will get access to a catalogue detailing the Seed Library’s holdings and you can sign out up to six varieties of seeds. These events are drop-in.
Upcoming Seed Swap dates:
- Saturday, February 11, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, February 25, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, March 11, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, March 25, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, April 8, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, April 22, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, May 13, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- Saturday, May 27, 10:00 am-1:00 pm
Emily Carr Branch
- Thursday, March 9, 5:30 pm-8:30 pm
- Thursday, April 13, 5:30 pm-8:30 pm
3. Save Seeds
Seed Library Members are responsible for maintaining the stock of seed available through the Seed Library. LifeCycles and GVPL offer workshops throughout the year on how to grow and save seed. Register at gvpl.ca or call 250-940-GVPL (4875) for more information
Upcoming workshop dates:
- Growing a Backyard Seed Garden, Tuesday, March 14, 7:00-8:30 at Central Branch – registration begins February 27
- Growing Native Plants from Seed, Tuesday, April 4, 7:00-8:30 pm at Central Branch – registration begins February 27
- Backyard Seed Saving Workshop, Saturday, April 15, 1:00-3:00 pm at Victoria Compost Education Centre – registration begins February 27
4. Share Seeds
Collect seeds from your healthiest or tastiest crops and return them to the Seed Library to share with others.
For more information, please contact LifeCycles at 250-383-5800 or email@example.com
In the media
CFAX 1070 interview April 11, 2014
Times Colonist article April 7, 2014
Victoria News article April 8, 2014
Seeds of Diversity Newsletter article May 2014
BCLA Browser article Vol. 6, No. 2 (2014)
- Borrow.Save.Share -supports and networks seed libraries and other seed sharing initiatives across BC.
- Victoria Seed Library Catalogue (PDF)
- The Bauta Family Initiative on Canadian Seed Security Webinar Series
- Bean Observation Form (Word)
- Lettuce Observation Form (Word)
- Pea Observation Form (Word)
- Saving Bean and Pea Seed (PDF)
- Saving Lettuce Seed (PDF)
- Saving Tomato Seed (PDF)
- A Seed Saving Guide for Gardeners and Farmers (PDF) – Organic Seed Alliance